Monday, January 20, 2014

Dartmouth - Day 2

Walked over 10 miles today according to my GPS. Breakfast at Cafe Alf Resco. Sunny side eggs on home made brown toast. Started my walk around the Dartmouth town center and along the waterfront then crossed the river Dart by passenger ferry to Kingswear following the coastal path to a point where I was overlooking Mill Bay.
Alf Resco Cafe - Awesome Breakfasts


Returned to Dartmouth for a short break.  Found a coffee shop and could not resist having a slice of fresh baked apple pie and a pot of coffee for my lunch. I then decided to follow the Coastal Path on the Dartmouth side stopping at the Dartmouth Castle which was not open to the public at this time of year. Frankly I don't think I missed much as the grounds were open any way. I followed a narrow road that parralled the Coastal path to a point where it ended at an open field where I decided to head back to Dartmouth. I started to follow a footpath that I thought would take me along a ridge to Dartmouth but it appeared to be taking me away from where I wanted so decided to double back to where I picked tp the path. It was starting to get dark by this time so I made my way back to my room for a short break. Ended the day with taking back a sandwich with goats cheese and greens with a  bottle of Chardonnay to my room which had a fantastic view overlooking Dartmouth harbor.

View of Kingswear in the background from the landing where it is said that the Pilgrim ship to America stopped to pick up passengers

The hills in Dartmouth are killers.  This is one of the walkways leading to the 
town center which I had to climb to get to the room where I stayed while in Dartmouth

View of the countryside along the Coastal Path