Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dartmouth -Day 1

Moonrise as viewed from my room in Dartmouth

I was picked up somewhere around 1pm today by Bernard for our drive to Dartmouth where I would be staying. Our drive on the motorway was not as bad as I anticipated as the traffic was relatively light and there were relatively few trucks (lorries as they are called here). Bernard did all the driving which was welcomed as I usually do all the driving on long trips. Bernard drove tanks when in the military which was good training for driving on the motorways here.

Loading Cars onto the South Dart Ferry

We arrived in Kingswear about 5:30pm which is directly across the River Dart from Dartmouth where I would be staying for two nights.  There are two ways to cross the river by car. You have a choice of a very small car ferry (shown above) called the South Dart Ferry or up river a short way you have another very small car ferry called the North Dart Ferry. It was dark when we arrived but it appeared to me that it was only possible to get 5 or 6 vehicles on the ferry. The car ferry was actually a flat barge that was pulled/pushed by a small tug boat.

The B&B where I stayed for two nights is the door with the overhang .

I made reservations to stay at a B&B during my stay in Dartmouth named Room-With-A-View located on the side on the hill overlooking the harbor. To get to where I would be staying we had to drive up a very narrow road just wide enough for one car.  Bernard left me in Dartmouth as he was driving on to Portsmouth where he would be attending training for several days.