Sunday, March 11, 2012

Some of my Co-Workers at the Boat Museum



Here I am with two of my coworkers.  Jim standing to the left is a retired Civil Engineer and worked for what we would call the Highway Department. Jim and I have been working jointly on some of the building restoration work at the museum.  In the middle is Ronnie who is retired from the Vauxhall factory in Ellsemere port and is in charge of site maintenance at the museum.

The three of us typically work at the museum three days a week. Jim and I were paired up on a number of tasks and projects.  The two of us worked together to repair sills on the engine room and doors on the Steam Accumulator building. Jim has been helpful with familiarizing me with the procedures at the museum which has helped to keep me from getting myself into trouble on a number of occasions.


Centaur returning from a trip

Peter in a black coat and hat is the Captain of the Centaur which is the tour boat that takes visitors for trips on the canal.  Peter was a captain on the world famous Mersey Ferry before he retired and has some interesting stories about his work on the Mersey as a Captain.


Steven being trained by Mike on the Radiant

Steven is another co-worker who I have grown to know and is the youngest on the Maintenance team.  Steven has an enormous amount of energy and pulls more than his share of the work load.  It's encouraging to know that there are actually some young people who are not afraid to work.  Steve among other things is into BMX bikes and from what I have been able to gather pushes his sport to the limits.  He recently destroyed one bike doing his bike stunts. He now uses his sister's bike and I have a feeling her bike is next on the destruction list.


MartYn moving a narrow boat into dry dock

MartYn with the bright yellow coat and black hat is moving one of the narrow boats.  The boat is being moved into position where the lock will be used as a dry dock to allow the boat to be inspected.  The lock the boat is being moved into is frequently used as a dry dock when it is necessary to work on the hull of a boat.  

MartYn and his partner Sue were the first persons I met at the museum.  Martyn and Sue spent an entire morning with me introducing me to the museum by explaining the volunteer program then gave me a tour of the facilities.  Both Sue and MartYn are dedicated to the museum and spend a great deal of their personal time working at the museum.  I cannot recall being at the museum when I did not see one of them working there.  




No comments:

Post a Comment